A forklift operator plays an important role in your company’s success and meeting the demands of the supply chain. A bad hire can not only cost your company money, but can cause delays in important processes that affect the overall bottom line.
How to Hire the Right Forklift Operator
To make sure you hire top talent, be sure to consider these areas during the hiring process.
Key Forklift Operator Skills
When you are glancing over resumes and applications, look for these skills:
- Experience operating the particular machines used at your workplace, or a similar model
- Proficiency in math, at least at an eighth grade level with the ability to calculate loads, bills of lading, and freight quotes.
- Reliability, so your supply chain remains productive and contributes to the company’s overall success.
Any good forklift operator is trained. In addition to some previous experience, it’s important you also train your forklift operators in-house. To comply with OSHA standards, and ensure a safe and productive warehouse, your training programs should include:
- facility operations, including surfaces, types of loads and other important specifications;
- traffic patterns in the warehouse, including machines and especially pedestrian;
- operation of specific machinery and an understanding of mechanical issues; and
- hands-on testing.
Looking for Local Top Talent?
If you need help finding the right forklift operator to move your company to greater success, contact MS-IL Staffing & Packaging.Hiring the Right Forklift Operator, How to Hire the Right Forklift Operator, Staffing Agencies Indianapolis IN, Temp Services Indianapolis, Temp Staffing of Indiana, Tips for Hiring the Right Forklift Operator